In the past week I have had numerous conversations with different people in my life about the challenges of ‘getting the words on paper’ or onto whatever medium. I have not been writing as often and as consistently as I would have liked. Last week my efforts were upended by a new computer and the ensuing setup issues – of course I could have always resorted to the old pen and paper but that would have been too easy.
A friend and fellow blogger Mama Loves Paris was unrestrained in her advice: “You can do it girl, just start and keep on writing!”. I have slowly been putting the words down after spending an inordinate amount of time reading up on tips about writing from more sources than I dare to count. If only I spent my time more wisely.
Here are the tips I liked and which I have decided to apply to my writing habits going forward:
- Hold yourself accountable
- Have the courage to write badly
- Treat writing as a job. Be disciplined
- Be without fear. Too much fear and all you’ll get is silence
- Have more than one idea on the go at any one time
- Finish the day’s writing when you still want to continue
- The way to write is to actually just write
- Don’t just plan to write – write!